Monday, February 5, 2018

Maybe I'm Repeating Myself

Here in the foothills of  North California (If they ever decide to divide the state, I will live in the North. However I don't expect it will happen because no one will ever agree on where the border should be.) it is spring weather, false spring, craziness or what ever. But it is not unusual.  Some years it may be in January others, like now, in February.

In 2014 I wrote a poem whilst sitting in the overly warm sun on my porch in February. Here it is.

  Too Warm in February

When February turns as warm as May
My mind drifts off and far away
Where snow lies deep upon the ground
And silence is the only sound;
Where mornings are dark, the air is chill
And I see foxes on the hill.

A fire burning in the grate
And steaming soup upon my plate.
Needing a coat when I go out, 
'I love winter' I want to shout.

Yet here I sit my arms all bare
Hearing bird calls everywhere,
Not even a rain cloud in the sky.
'Where is winter?', I want to cry,
When did winter pass me by?

Springtime weather is very nice
When coming after cold and ice.
The new green leaves on the old oak tree
Just now it's hot out in the sun.

Say it's not true that winter's done.

What is nice about the warmer weather, is that is just so pleasant to be out in it.  Our summers are very warm (90's to 107ish) and it's no fun going outdoors.  Oh wait!  It's absolutely lovely going out at 0500 on a July day to pull some weeds or take a walk.  But now, one can go out in the afternoon and putter around or sit and read.




Have you noticed adults are coloring in coloring books like crazy? 

 Every where one turns there are adult coloring books like these.

Apparently one can go online and just download a page to color.


Back in the 1970's,  I discovered a catalog from Dover Publishing.

 They had wonderful color books and paper dolls.  I bought paper dolls for the girls, like Goldilocks and the Three Bears etc.  I bought a couple of coloring books for me.  I used fine line markers, not pencils.  I remember one was the alphabet.  Each page a letter.  Inside the letter were items and animals that started with the letter.

Looking just now at their paper dolls, I saw Kate, the Duchess; Shirley Temple, Viking Children, Abe Lincoln and family and many more.  

All photos today were from the net. And here's one more  from a previous post on color.


There's no double about I have repeated myself a little bit, but I'm okay with it.

Wishing you a splendid day.

2 comments:

  1. My temperature clock is all abit confused as well,after being in Lisbon for 4 days and temperatures in the low 20's, we have now plummeted back into winter in Guernsey with light snow and minus 2!!!But its only ment to be for a few days, fingers crossed.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that is cold weather. We have cool sunshine today, but there was rain and snow a few days ago and more on the way. Lisbon sounds so enchanting like the old song Lisbon Antigua
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeKB3YYV-KQ

      So good to hear from you again.

      Delete