Sunday, May 20, 2018

Roses and Peonies

About 18 months ago, I visited the home of a friend for the first time.  Her husband is an avid gardener.  It was there, I fell in love with roses.  I have loved peonies for a long time though I never had any. but I always thought roses were just 'okay'.  Admittedly, I love a fragrant rose, but it seems to me they don't smell as delicious as they once did.


This is the Sarah Bernhardt Peony ( photo from Google search and nydecay.org)

Yesterday, I went back to Micki's home and I, along with the rest of the guests, were invited to help ourselves to any of the roses and peonies.  Wow, I went crazy, but as I live 40 miles away over very winding roads, I would have to carry them.  I restrained myself Thankfully, another was driving.


Photo by moi

The blossoms on the left are peonies. The ones on the right are roses except for the large yellow one. That is a Lithuanian peony.

Photo by me a bit blurry.

In this one you can really see the Lithuanian peony.

Last week was Mother's Day,  You knew that, didn't you?
 I had a lovely visit with my oldest daughter and her family, with delicious burgers and gifts I love.  My other daughter, who lives far away, sent some flowers which arrived Monday.  She knew I wouldn't be home for a Sunday delivery.

I had beautiful flowers.

 The full view

The overhead view showing the peonies. This was the next morning.

These are the same peonies four days later. See the color difference and how large they opened.


Here are some roses I love. Some are mine, some are hoped for.



This is St. Patrick's Rose in my yard.



Gold Strike Rose


A new favorite. The Jude the Obscure Rose. It's gorgeous and it smells wonderful.  I mean, amazing.

Both of these Jude the Obscure photos were from Google search.  I didn't get a photo at Micki's. She has a lovely, large bush  covered with them.

Jude again.

And for my last photo for this post, a still life.

This photo by me is titled:
Still Life with Rose

Let's all be thankful for the beauty of flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment