Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Memory

Show me the way to go home
I'm tired and I want to go to bed
I had a little drink about an hour ago
And it went right to my head
No matter where I roam
Or land, or sea and foam
You can always hear me singing this song
Show me the way to go home.
(written by Campbell and Connelly in 1925)

Picture a slender, sliver-haired man sitting at the head of a dinner table encircled by family.  He is playing his banjo and singing this song.  Can't see it?  I can and I can hear him and I miss him.

My dad.

Dad also recited this following poem on occasion.

I never saw a purple cow
I never hope to see one
But I can tell you anyhow
I'd rather see than be one.
(Gelett Burgess)

My father was born in Boston, the oldest of four.  This was 1908.  I'm sorry to say I don't know very much about his childhood.  I am so sorry I never asked.  I'm sure he would have told me.  He did tell me once about taking the streetcar to get a haircut.  Somehow he lost the money,  I can't remember what happened, but I remember it was Dad's fault.  He had to go home and tell his dad he lost it.  That was very hard to do.  I expect he learned his lesson.  He also told me about playing ice hockey at recess.  This was fascinating for me, a California girl, who could only ice skate at a rink.

My dad attended Boston Latin School.  He believed Latin should be required in high school.  My sister had to take Latin as it was offered when she was high school age.  It was no longer taught when I got there.   I think I was relieved.  (I did take 4 years of Spanish and 2 of French.) 

That's really all I know of Dad's childhood.  It's pitiful.  I can't go back and undo that.  Please if you don't know much about your parents' childhoods.  Ask them to tell you.  Someday you will wish you had.

My dad in 1933.  What a handsome man.  That is my sister Patricia in his arms. This was before the silver hair, of course.


My dad in 1980.  He passed away in Feb. 1981.  See the silver hair?  This was my parents' 50th wedding anniversary. We are 
(L-R) Katherine, Allan, Patricia, Wilma (my mom) and me.

Just a memory today.


Here is a version of Show Me the Way to Go Home I found on YouTube.  Quite different from Dad and his banjo.







No comments:

Post a Comment